- 5 Tips To Finding Peace Within Yourself
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Learning How to Accept Yourself
- How to Find Your Inner Peace and Transform Your Life
- 8 Benefits of Having an Open Mind and How to Get One
- Learn How To Be A Happier Person
- What Is The Meaning Of Life?
- Laws of Abundance – The Riches of Love and Joy
- How to Be Laid Back By Following These 9 Simple Strategies
- The meaning of confucius’ golden rule – 4 practical ways of living it
- 3 methods of unleashing the power of contentment in your life
Alternative Treatments Can Help You Overcome Insomnia
There is little in life that is so mentally and physically sapping as insomnia. Being unable to fall asleep to begin with, or waking up after only a few hours and remaining awake until morning is dangerous to your health. Chronic insomnia is actually more harmful than drinking and smoking combined, and can rob years from your life. Almost everyone has suffered from a sleepless night now and again, and insomnia can be caused by:
- Mental illness
- Physical illness – even a temporary illness, like flu, can keep you awake through simple discomfort.
Although most people have experienced sleep difficulties, it is more likely to occur with women, and those who may be struggling financially. Not surprisingly, chronic conditions, such as Crohn’s disease or emphysema, can also keep you awake.
The dangers of sleeping pills have now become common knowledge, and their efficacy wears off within a relatively short length of time. Addiction seems to have only been the tip of the iceberg, and now even short term use of prescription sleeping pills has been linked to heart failure, convulsions, sleep walking, and cancer. With all these ghastly possibilities facing you, if you want to start sleeping normally, and safely, it’s time to look for an insomnia alternate treatment. Fortunately, there are a number of safe and effective methods that can let you sleep naturally.
- Meditation is probably one of the best insomnia alternative treatments. Learning how to totally relax through meditation has been proved to improve the ability to fall asleep and stay asleep. The quieting of all the jangling thoughts that run over and over through your mind and the reduction of stress hormones can help you get the sleep you need and deserve.
- Biofeedback is another mental technique that has brought relief to those suffering from insomnia and other sleep disorders. Biofeedback takes a different approach from meditation as it involves the person learning how to control the body more completely. Those who practice it learn how to control heartbeat, respiration, blood pressure, and skin temperature.
- Natural herbs can also provide relief from insomnia, and many of these have been used by mankind for centuries. One of the first to come to mind is valerian, which causes relaxation and stills the discordance of your thoughts. Valerian also lets you fall asleep more quickly. Passionflower is another powerful herbal remedy for sleeping problems and provides a safe insomnia alternative treatment. Studies have shown that these two herbs are as effective as prescription medications without any of the dangerous side effects.
- Getting tired out physically during the day will usually help anyone fall asleep. However, today’s social structure usually means that most of us are sitting down for most of the time, and although we may end up mentally fatigued, we are not physically so. Adding a regular exercise routine to your daily schedule is the answer. Working out not only helps to get you tired, but also releases endorphins, which serve to help you feel relaxed and more likely to fall asleep easily.
- Music can also provide a good insomnia alternative treatment. Obviously, you don’t want anything loud or aggressive sounding at this time, try some soothing chamber music or easy listening tunes. There are actually CDs designed specifically to help people get to sleep, and sometimes white noise will also help.
Getting to sleep and staying asleep are essential to good mental and physical health. Fortunately, there are a number of reliable and safe insomnia alternative treatments available that can help you overcome this problem.
Don’t suffer from fatigue and the physical problems that will result from insomnia when relief is available without potentially harmful prescription drugs.