- 5 Tips To Finding Peace Within Yourself
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Learning How to Accept Yourself
- How to Find Your Inner Peace and Transform Your Life
- 8 Benefits of Having an Open Mind and How to Get One
- Learn How To Be A Happier Person
- What Is The Meaning Of Life?
- Laws of Abundance – The Riches of Love and Joy
- How to Be Laid Back By Following These 9 Simple Strategies
- The meaning of confucius’ golden rule – 4 practical ways of living it
- 3 methods of unleashing the power of contentment in your life
Seven Ways How to Develop Self-Esteem
You’re as good as you think you are
Self-esteem, sometimes called self-worth or self-respect, is how you feel about yourself. Unfortunately, not everyone has a high opinion of himself or herself, so it becomes necessary to find ways how to develop self-esteem.
How’s your self-esteem?
You can say a person has a healthy, or high level, of self-esteem if he or she manifests these traits:
➢ Has a firm belief in specific values and principles, and is willing to defend them;
➢ Trusts his own judgement, acts accordingly and doesn’t get affected if others don’t agree with his decision;
➢ Lives in the present, learns from the past and doesn’t worry too much about the past or the future;
➢ Trusts his ability to solve problems without being defeated by failure, but is willing to ask for help;
➢ Admits that people are different in status but considers himself as dignified as everyone else;
➢ Assumes that others consider him interesting and valuable;
➢ Cooperates with others if it is proper and convenient; does not allow himself to be manipulated by others;
➢ Is sensitive to the feelings of others, does not wish to exploit other people and observes social convention;
➢ Enjoys a wide range of activities;
➢ Admits to having different feelings and motivations, letting others know these only when he wants to.
When a person finds himself or herself with a low self-esteem, it becomes necessary to find ways to develop self-esteem in order to avoid anxiety and mental distress.
1. Take time for yourself – Persons with low self-esteem don’t find enough time for themselves. Set aside some time everyday to do nothing and just be alone with yourself. Practicing Transcendental Meditation is a great way to do this. Find a nice, quiet place where you can sit down, close your eyes and imagine a serene landscape. Breathe deeply, let your mind find your inner self and let your body enter into deep relaxation.
2. List your assets – Write down 50 things you like about yourself on small cards. It may take some time but keep at it. Bring the cards with you and go through them during the day whenever you can. It will keep your mind on what’s good about you and will help you stay upbeat.
3. Consider the whole package – Think of yourself as a “package deal” not just a set of shortcomings. Accept the fact that you have faults but don’t push aside the good points that are part of who you are. Stand in front of a full-length mirror and take a good, close look at the entire “you” every day.
4. Believe in your abilities – Think of how far you’ve come in life, of the problems you’ve encountered and overcome. If you find yourself starting to doubt your capabilities, think of a new challenge and go for it. Whenever you accomplish something, make a note of it and go over it in your mind.
5. Respect your worth – Don’t be afraid to make yourself a priority at times. Ask for what you want and say “no” when you feel like it. Forget what others think about your choices, and stand up for what you think is right.
6. Look at your achievements – Think about the last time you failed then immediately think about the last time you succeeded. Keep a list of your successes, big and small. Go over the list from time to time and relish what you’ve accomplished.
7. Get a second opinion – Ask someone you trust to name five things about yourself that you can be proud of. It might be the way you look or what’s inside you. Either way, you’ll be pleasantly surprised that others might think of you more highly than you yourself do.
Try these seven ways to develop your self-esteem and you’ll start thinking of yourself as the special person you really are.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login